We've made a great video just for Agents. Kick back, relax, and please...
enjoy the show!
Welcome to Rental Screening Simplified!
For Realtors®, SoftScreen is a snap!
A cost-free, legally compliant, absolutely effortless snap!
- Click Here to register, and create your FREE Agent Account
- Enter the address of your rental property by clicking to Create a listing
That's all it takes for Tenants to share their complete package of robust screening Reports with you and even with your listing client, the Property Owner.
That's it! Rental Screening Simplified
SoftScreen is a powerful platform with features that make rental screening manageable and easy.
Please scroll down for all the details...
There's No Paperwork, No Contracts, No Credentialing!
SoftScreen is Available for EVERY Realtor®, at EVERY Brokerage Firm and for EVERY Single Rental Property in the United States!
Just create your FREE Agent Account and enjoy Rental Screening Simplified!
SoftScreen lets ANY Tenant order and receive their own Reports, and then at the same time, share complete and total access to their Reports with ANY Listing Agent, and ANY Property Owner for ANY Property available for rent or lease.
Think of it as receiving an email that's also been cc'd to others!
It's the very same information, sent to multiple recipients at the same time!
Anytime a Tenant orders and shares their reports with you, we let you know with an email notification.
Just log in to view the complete set of Reports - Credit, Criminal and Eviction, along with the Tenant's Rental Application.
SoftScreen also provides Tenants with the freedom to share their Reports over and over again, with other recipients, as many times as needed, up to 150 shares in a 30 day time frame AT NO ADDITIONAL COST.
So many questions! SoftScreen has answers...
For Professional Real Estate Agents, the prospect of conducting a rental transaction can be daunting. Much of the concern stems from issues that swirl around the proper distribution and handling of the Tenant's consumer reports. Credit, criminal, even eviction reports.
- Who orders the reports?
- Who receives them?
- Can they be shared between agents?
- Can the Landlord have a copy?
- How do I make sure the Tenant's information is safe?
These are all excellent questions to ask. Unfortunately there are often too few answers. And mistakes, if made, can be very problematic to say the least. But don't worry, SoftScreen will make everything totally simple and safe! We handle it all, seamlessly providing legal compliance, and making sure EVERYONE is covered and EVERYTHING is done the correct way.
- With SoftScreen, Tenants order their own reports
- Reports are delivered directly to Tenants, Agents and Property Owners
Worries about not being able to share reports are a thing of the past!
- SoftScreen does the job for everyone. Safely, legally, and always making sure the Tenant's information is protected, being provided only to those who have a permissible purpose to receive it.
Tenants alway know who they are sharing their reports with, and agents no longer have to worry about any of the heavy lifting typically associated with rental transactions!
It all starts with an address!
Because Rental Screening requires a Rental Property.
Someone representing the property, either the Listing Agent or the Property Owner, starts by entering the Rental Property's address... Simple!
Instructions For Listing Agents
All you need is the Street Address. That's It!
Listing Agents - Let's Get Started
(If you're not the Listing Agent, No Problem... keep reading! We've got you covered)
- Click Here to register, and Let's Get Started You can create your SoftScreen AGENT Account
- Then, simply use the "Create a Listing" Button in your Dashboard to easily enter your Rental Listing's Street Address. That's all that's needed!
...and while you're there, you have the option to add the Property Owner to the Report Distribution Chain for the safe, legally compliant sharing of Reports directly with your Listing Client.
Doing this allows the Property Owner to view the Tenant's Reports. Don't add them and they can't!
We highly suggest you include your client so you can both be on the same page.
Unless they really don't want to view the Tenant's Reports! In which case they can just ignore it
(yeah, relationships are hard!)
Now sit back, relax, and screen tenants like a boss!
Now any Tenant can share their reports in one of several ways...
- Tenants can log in and proactively locate your listing by its address, sharing Reports directly with YOU and the Property Owner.
- OR... The Tenant's Showing Agent can join in. A Tenant's Agent can also locate the listing by its address and invite their Tenant to provide Reports directly to YOU and the Property Owner.
- OR... Listing Agents and Property Managers (or even the Property Owner) can choose to send an invitation directly to the Tenant right from their SoftScreen dashboard.
Reports just show up. Automatically. Anytime a Tenant provides them!
We'll let you know immediately! We always send you an email the moment they do!
Instructions For Showing Agents - let's get the ball rolling
SoftScreen is GREAT for YOUR Tenant clients!
- Tenants receive their own Reports
- Our Reports are a Soft Hit that won't impact their score
- Reports can be shared and then re-shared again and again at ZERO additional cost, making multiple rental applications a snap!
- SoftScreen also includes the Tenant's Rental Application, eliminating the need for paperwork
- SoftScreen is, hands down, the BEST possible option for Tenants when rental Screening is needed!
Showing Agents - Let's Get Started
- Click Here to register, and Let's Get Started Or, on the Register Icon located at the top of this page to create your SoftScreen AGENT Account
- Use the "Invite Tenants to Provide Reports - Showing Agent" Button in your Dashboard to send an email invitation to your client. This will let them order and receive their own Reports and share their Reports directly with the Listing Agent or Property Manager and the Property Owner.
- That's it! Unless you cannot locate the property by it's address...
WHAT TO DO WHEN THE PROPERTY'S ADDRESS CANNOT BE LOCATED...
So, what happens when a particular rental property address is not yet listed within SoftScreen, and you have a Tenant client who wants to provide their reports?
No problem here, just an awesome solution...
Showing Agent's can get the ball rolling!
Simply invite the Listing Agent, a Property Manager, or even the Property Owner for Non-MLS,
"for rent by owner" rentals, to enter their listing's address within SoftScreen.
This is easy to do!
SoftScreen will guide you through the process, which works as follows:
- Log into your SoftScreen dashboard and use the "Create a listing" button as a Showing Agent.
- Enter the property's address along with the Listing Agent's or Property Owner's email
(and even your Tenant's email)
We protect Agency and won't disclose the Tenant's identity until Reports are sent
That's it! We told you this was going to be easy!
FYI: SHOWING AGENTS CANNOT CREATE SOMEONE ELSE'S LISTING
That would be too easy, right? This is because a Tenant's Showing Agent does not legally represent the property or the Property Owner. Only the Property Owner or their fiduciary i.e. Listing Agent/Property Manager may create the listing.
Now What Happens?
- The Listing Agent receives and accepts your invitation to enter their listing's property address
- If you included your Tenant's email, SoftScreen then immediately notifies the Tenant with YOUR invitation to provide reports
- The Tenant accepts the invitation, logs in and provides reports. They also receive their own copies!
- As the Showing Agent, YOU are notified by email that your client has provided Reports
- Showing Agents, Please note, while it is legally permissible for a Tenant to provide, disclose or discuss their own consumer report and the information it contains with you, it is NOT advisable for you to take possession of a Tenant's consumer report(s). (Please see FCRA and legal compliance information below) Nor is it necessary...
- If Reports are again needed for additional rental property applications, Tenants can easily re-use and re-share their Reports at no additional cost, up to 150 times over 30 days.
- As a reminder, SoftScreen reports are a soft hit that will NOT impact your client's credit score, no matter how many times they re-use or re-share their reports!
Why we require the property's address...
For Rental Screening, there first needs to be a rental property. Sensible? We think so. (And it’s also the law!) Thats why, with SoftScreen, everything begins when you Create a listing simply by entering the rental property's address.
This needs to be done by either the Property Owner, the Real Estate Listing Professional or a Property Manager.
Someone who legally represents the property!
Sharing Reports - Adding the Property Owner to the report distribution chain eliminates concerns about not being able to share reports!
Full disclosure; By law, SoftScreen must always inform the Tenant up-front about who will be viewing their private consumer data. You simply include the Property Owner's email when creating your listing to achieve this. SoftScreen invites the Property Owner to the Rental Screening process. Once they accept the invitation, copies of the Tenant's reports will now go to you AND them. The Tenant is made aware of this before providing Reports. We handle the safe and legal distribution of Reports to all disclosed parties!
Can you add the Property Owner after the fact?
Yup. You sure can. You can add a Property Owner to the Report Distribution Chain at any time. But Property Owners will only be able to receive Reports for Tenants which are provided AFTER they're having been added.
In accordance with Federal Law, full disclosure to the Tenant of who will view their Reports must be made BEFORE they provide them. Tenants are only made aware of the Property Owner receiving reports ONCE they have been added to the Report Distribution Chain. That's why it is always best to add the Property Owner right from the start, when you are first entering the property's address.
What if the Property Owner doesn't want to see the reports?
No problem! Just skip this step!
Would you like to avoid receiving the report and send it
only to the Property Owner?
We can do that too! SoftScreen gives you the option of having reports go only to the Property Owner. You can enter the property's address on behalf of your client OR you can ask them to set up the property themselves.
"You've been invited"
Using invitations to communicate with one another.
Send and receive invitations and receive timely updates as they're accepted and acted upon!
#1 - The Property Owner can send the Listing Agent an Invitation (to view reports)
Sometimes a Listing Clients bring their "A" Game!
Once in a while the Property Owner may actually enter the rental property's address before you get the chance. That's great if they do! And then they will most likely invite you, their Listing Agent, to join the report distribution chain.
When receiving an email invitation, simply click the link in the email. This will give you an opportunity to create your SoftScreen Agent account. Unless you already have an account. If you do... great! In that case, you can simply log in right from the link in the email invite! Once logged in, click the "View invitations" button to accept their invitation. Now, whenever reports are provided by a Tenant, both you AND your client the Property Owner will be able to view them. It's like Magic, but better!
#2 - The Tenant's Showing Agent can invite the Listing Agent (to enter the address)
As explained earlier, Showing Agents can start the process on behalf of their client, The Tenant, by inviting BOTH the Listing Agent to enter their listing's address within SoftScreen and the Tenant to provide reports once the Listing Agent has accepted the invitation. When receiving an email invitation, simply click the link in the email. This will give you an opportunity to create your SoftScreen Agent account. Unless you already have an account. If you do... great! In that case, you can simply log in right from the link in the email invite! Once logged in, click the "View invitations" button to accept their invitation and the address is automatically entered for you!
For Showing Agents, Representing Tenants with their best interests at heart is easy to do with SoftScreen...
- SoftScreen reports are a SOFT HIT! This means NO NEGATIVE IMPACT on the client's credit score.
- Tenants can Re-share and reuse reports in an almost unlimited manner for 30 days at absolutely ZERO ADDITIONAL COST! A fantastic value that saves time and expense. Now, applying for multiple properties is problem free!
- SoftScreen gives Tenants INSTANT ACCESS TO THEIR OWN REPORTS! Total transparency. Tenants will know exactly what the Listing Agent and the Property Owner are seeing! No more guessing and wondering about what's on the reports!
- SAFER REPORTING! SoftScreen reports protect identity! Reports are absent of Social Security AND all individual account numbers.
#3 - The Listing Agent, a Property Manager, a Showing Agent OR the Property Owner can invite a tenant (to provide their reports)
Listing Agents or Property Managers - Find someone you think will be a great Tenant? Now you can send them an email invitation to provide their reports directly to you. Safely and efficiently! Simply use the "Invite Tenants to provide reports" button in your SoftScreen dashboard!
Showing Agents can also invite a Tenant. If the property is already listed within SoftScreen, just locate the property by its address and invite the Tenant to provide Reports.
If the property is not yet listed within SoftSCreen, inviting the Tenant can be done at the same time you also invite the Listing Agent, Property Manager or Property Owner (for Non-MLS rentals) to enter the address and create their listing within SoftScreen. Once this is done, the Tenant is automatically notified.
How to View the Tenant's Reports
Viewing credit, criminal and eviction reports is easy to do. Just log in to your SoftScreen dashboard and click on your "View available reports" button. Reports for every Tenant who has applied for every one of your rental property listings will be visible. Everything in one organized place.
Letter of Adverse Action - Denial of Tenancy
What happens if a Tenant isn't suitable based on something in their consumer reports? The FCRA requires a letter of adverse action be sent to the applicant. We've got this! With a simple click of the mouse SoftScreen handles this for you! We will notify the Tenant with the appropriate letter that meets your obligation under the FCRA.
And finally, a very important note to Real Estate Professionals about the FCRA and legal compliance (the serious stuff)
SoftScreen delivers a much sought after solution to the challenges faced when taking part in rental transactions which require a Tenant's consumer report(s).
SoftScreen's goal is to seamlessly provide legal compliance on behalf of all involved.
By delivering report(s) only to those who have a legally permissible purpose for receiving them, SoftScreen protects the Tenant by making certain their consumer data is shared appropriately, and limited to only those with a legally permissible use for receiving it.
In this way, all parties are protected; The real estate professional, the Property Owner and most importantly, the Tenant, who's confidential consumer data is at the heart of it all.
With this in mind, please consider the following:
In accordance with the Fair Credit Reporting Act and its Amendments, the federal law(s) that governs the accuracy, completeness, privacy and distribution of consumer data, a Tenant’s Consumer Report, be it Credit, Criminal and/or Eviction, may ONLY be used in accordance with a Permissible Purpose.
For Real Estate Professionals, the Permissible Purpose for using the Tenant’s consumer report(s) is Tenant Screening, also referred to as Rental Screening.
The ONLY recipient of the report(s) SoftScreen provides can and should be the LISTING AGENT, Property Manager and/or the Property Owner along with the Tenant.
The LISTING AGENT, Property Manager and/or the Property Owner are the End User Recipients, the one(s) who will use the report(s) for the legally permissible purpose and intended use - a decision on tenancy.
A Tenant’s Showing Agent CANNOT utilize the report(s) to make a decision on tenancy, thus, in accordance with the FCRA, has no valid need or right to receive the report(s) from SoftScreen
As such, a Tenant’s Showing Agent SHOULD NOT be the recipient of report(s)
A Tenant’s Showing Agent CANNOT receive the report(s) directly from SoftScreen
A Tenant's Showing Agent CANNOT receive the report(s) directly from SoftScreen and then re-distribute the report(s) to any other recipient.
For a Tenant's Showing Agent, receiving the report(s) directly from SoftScreen, (i.e. falsely posing as the End User Listing Agent) and then dispensing the report(s) to another recipient, (cooperating agent or broker, landlord or any other) the Showing Agent would, by virtue of their actions, be falsely acting as, and holding themselves out as, the End User AND as a Consumer Reporting Agency. In the eyes of federal law, this is considered obtaining consumer information under false pretenses.
NOTICE: THE FCRA PROVIDES THAT ANY PERSON WHO KNOWINGLY AND WILLFULLY OBTAINS INFORMATION ON A CONSUMER FROM A CONSUMER REPORTING AGENCY UNDER FALSE PRETENSES SHALL BE FINED UNDER TITLE 18 OF THE UNITED STATES CODE OR IMPRISONED NOT MORE THAN TWO YEARS, OR BOTH.
SoftScreen - Rental Screening Simplified